Monday, January 24, 2011

Cheers Japan!

This is going to be my last official blog post here in the land of Japan.
Japan, you have been my worst enemy and my best friend.
You have thrown at me some of the worst situations anyone can possibly ask for, and you have also blessed me with many new friends that will remain mine forever.
Thank you Japan, and after all the struggles I’ve been through, I can honestly say that you’ve made me a stronger, and happier person.

THANK YOU!
 This blog I want to dedicate to all the special people I’ve met during my exchange that have made a huge impact on my part.
Being an exchange student is fun, no doubt.
It can get lonely, and without the right people there to support you, you can drown in your own self pity.
I for one can definitely vouch for that.
I can probably give lectures on how to feel sorry for yourself.
I’m that good.
the gorgeous cherry blossoms that welcomed me into Japan!
 Initially at the start of my exchange I came to Japan very scared, and confused.
Why did I come to Japan? To learn Japanese.
You pack all your bags, and when you step out into Shinjuku (by the way, I notice that everyone goes to Shinjuku come the start of their exchange… I wonder why that is..), and you take it all in.
The buildings, the people.
The vast amount of items that you can waste money on.
You realize that the Japanese people love to buy things they don’t need.
Hence their very wealthy economy.

You start to understand the gravity of how much your current level of Japanese sucks.
Then; the motivation kicks in.
You want to learn. You want to communicate.
And the minute you realize you can converse with just about anyone on any topic?
It’s the greatest feeling in the world.

It was around June when I acquired all the communication skills I needed to survive in Japan.
My exchange company, after grueling me in counseling sessions, had really upped my vocabulary by a mile, and I had learnt how to express my own opinion despite Japanese society forbidding me to do so.
I also realized that I could sit for not N3, but N2 with the level of Japanese I managed to improve to.
It’s nice knowing that although you weren’t born with the tongue to speak Japanese; being in the environment itself can enable you to do so.
It’s one of those things that make me realize that we humans are awesome. =]

I’m glad I came to Japan because the way I see everything now has changed.
My beliefs, my morals, the way I see the world, the way I choose my friends; it has all changed drastically, and I love myself for it.

In one’s exchange you support each other through thick and thin, be it that you are from America, Canada, England, or France; you support one another because you need it.
So thank you to all of you that have supported me, and I hope that I have done the same for you in your time of trouble.

Writing this blog is so hard for me, because I have a box of tissues to my left and a barking Chihuahua to my right that is somehow trying to eat my keyboard.
I can’t help but cry knowing that I’m leaving Japan.
I feel like I’m saying goodbye to each and every one of you again although you’ve already left for home.

The first part of my exchange was a tough one.
These people have really helped me through it all; so thank you!   
I miss you all dearly. =]
If your picture shows up on this blog; know that you have made a huge impact on my exchange!
Most of you probably already know why; so I don’t think I need to dedicate a single blog to each and every one of you.
(although some of you have that privilege and should stop complaining that I don’t mention you in any of my blogs.)

This blog is also going to show moments in my exchange in which I reminisce about.
I miss you all so much :( Come see me off at the airport or something.
Why is New Zealand so inconveniently located at the bottom of planet earth! :(

Asya; when you left for home, I realized how much saying goodbye to someone you love hurts. I miss you till this day, and I hope we get a chance to see each other again in the future. Say Hi to the Phantom for me :P Or a slap. Whichever is conveninent!
Dona; without you, I wouldn't have survived that family. Thanks for always supporting me even till today! I'll come visit you in Belgium soon! :D
kat is actually my saviour here in Japan. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have known my current host family! Thank you Kat!
you were such a great senpai Lisa! Miss you =]

Emma and I singing at Karaoke...
The coolest kid from Australia. Ot the ONLY cool kid from Australia ;p
i miss you Emma!Email me your results for N2!
These pictures are during summer vacation =] Best vacation anyone can ever ask for :)
 I hung out with the most annoying British boy for all of vacation,
and we even went to Osaka together!!

ラブラブラブ:P
Bye Ralph and Kuma! 育っているのをおつかれ!!
かもの高さ知っている?It was so much fun being obnoxious gaijin in Osaka <3 Must do it again sometime!
After this idiot went home, I was really lonely..
Depressed even. :P
But I realized how important it was to treasure all your relationships;
and thanks for showing me what a real relationship is ;)

To master the art of being an obnoxious idiot in Japan, please contact Olivia Alexander and April Wong. :D

although Japan proved to be stressful at times..we still made it fun no matter what :D


love all the exchange students at my school! Manon, Caroline, Viola! Take Care! Be good senpai for the new suckers!

to all the girls in my class; you are all such cuties <3 I love you! また日本に戻ってきたらぜひ会いましょう!
this is one of the best photos I've ever taken in Japan. Ghibli Musuem; I've yet to blog about you, but when I do! :P
miho! Thanks so much for everything <3 英語の勉強がんばって!
to the first Japanese friends I made :)
to ones that I've grown so close to...
last but not least...
to Airi, my lovely host sister
host dad, and host mom...
本当に、今までありがとうございます!
色んな場所連れて行ったり、日本人の優しさも分かったり。。
NZまでに帰ってもみんなのこと絶対忘れないです。
皆のおかげで、日本のこともすごく大好きになった。
「ありがとう」って何回言っても足りないです。

  I hope I see all of you again. Miss you, and cheers for giving me one of the best exchanges anyone can ever ask for.

Love you all,
And おつかれさまでした!!!!!


エイプリル

1 comment:

  1. Awww Eipu that was the sweetest thing. <3

    I'm so glad you had a happy ending! It's absolutely mindblowing I tell you to see the kouhais you parented having finished parenting more houhais. *sob* Time flies...

    Haha, mountains are waiting for you here anytime, or just visit me in Moscow this summer.

    Lots of GYUUU from me to YOU.

    ReplyDelete