Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Japanese Christmas

Oh cameron, you speak wise words.
Before my parents came to Tokyo, my host family decided to throw a Christmas party.
The Japanese don't celebrate Christmas, so when I was informed that the 23rd was going to a Christmas party, I was extremely excited.

What is your ideal Christmas?
A roaring fire place, family all snuggled on the couch, christmas carols.
Possibly some form of roast bird as the centerpiece on the dinner table, a huge decorated Christmas tree in the background, hopefully abundant with presents for you at the bottom.

Christmas is of course ideally spent with your family, and then New Years with your friends.
What better way to roll in the New Year absolutely off your face drunk, and worry-free?

However the Japanese would spend Christmas with their friends, and New Year's with the family.
Usually the Japanese also use Christmas as an excuse to spend it with their special someone.

Exhibit A: Minato Mirai in Yokohama.

all the romantic couples that make me want to die.
 If you have just gotten out of a relationship, I strongly suggest to always avoid Yokohama at all costs.
This place is absolutely gorgeous aside from the fact that everywhere you go, you would be slapped in the face by romantic couples that are whispering sweet nothings in each others ears.

If I could somehow dub what they are saying it'd probably go down something like this:

Boy: "hey honey, I got you your Christmas gift."
Girl: "you mean, that huge snoopy that I've always wanted, all this time...?"
Boy: "well. Similar."
Girl: "...."
Boy: "A step machine, baby. It cost me a bomb but anything for my princess. It'll help you tone your thighs more seeing as you've just been scoffing all your Christmas chocolate."

With that conversation in mind; perhaps it's not so terrible to be single and walking in a couple-infested area after all.

On the 23rd of December, my host family made such a huge effort to celebrate Christmas.
So with that image painted in your mind of a typical Christmas, replace it with this:
No huge bird, no tree, and no 'presents'
(the Japanese would give money instead.
This is a common Asian thing, I've noticed. I prefer money too, to be fair.)

My host dad is, one of the BEST cooks. Ever.
My weight gain is all his fault, really.
(Aside from the fact I snack a lot...)

A Japanese Christmas Feast!
We had fried chicken, sashimi, sushi, and bless my dear host dad's heart, he thought it would be ideal if he made a salad that resembled the Christmas colors.
Red- Tomato
Green- Choy Sum
White- Bean Sprouts.
Gold- Fried Chicken. 

It was really sweet to see my host family make such an effort to throw together a dinner like this and make my Christmas special despite the fact that if I wasn't there; they'd go drinking instead. :P
My host mom even bought a cake that had the colors of Christmas too.

strawberry shortcake in Japan is absolutely delightful! :D
All in all, celebrating Christmas with my host family was the perfect send off to my actual parents come Christmas Eve.
My parents and host parents met yesterday for dinner in Ginza too.
It's exhausting keeping up with so many families.
I have a total of three!
(the other one not being the scary sausage loving host mom and her equally crazy daughter and husband, but the family I stayed with for a week prior to moving to my current host family's house.)

Before going to Ginza last night, I took my parents to visit my school, and also around Ueno, Harajuku, and Omotesando yesterday.
The Christmas illuminations in Omotesando were extremely gorgeous, and Ueno during the day was beautiful.
It was a pity because Yoyogi Park was closed due to some random accident, so I would have to take them back there maybe today, or tomorrow.

Ueno before lunch!
You would think that spending 9 months in Tokyo, I'd know that going to Harajuku, or anywhere in Tokyo on a Sunday would be committing suicide.
Guess where I took my family?
Harajuku. On a Sunday. On Boxing Day.
Give me a pat on the back.
Not because I did a good job, but because you feel sorry for silly idiotic ol' me. :P


Takeshita Street
Needless to say the crowd was insane and I got up close and personal with many strangers in shops.
My parents bought me a jacket from the Gap though; so that was the highlight of Harajuku.



 My poor parents and brother struggled gallantly through the streets of Harajuku, and by the time we made a loop around Takeshita Street, back up to Omotesando, we hit nightfall.
The Christmas lights however, made up for all the stress you'd get trying to breathe in such a crowd.

A picture of the tree-lined road in Omotesando
My brother and I posing for a photo! Note: Couples in the background, and the sheer crowd on Boxing Day in Harajuku
Taking the subway to Ginza was probably the smartest decision of mine yesterday.
The JR train lines were so full that the trains stopped apparently.
Bless Japanese people and their need to spend money they don't have, on sales that are non-existent! :P

You know when you introduce someone important to your family, 
and the rush of nerves that you'd get?
You worry about absolutely nothing, and the most important thing for you is that your family approve of them.

That was how I felt yesterday introducing my host family to my real family.
It was scary because despite the language barrier, I was afraid that they'd have nothing to talk about.
I was soon reassured once we got to the restaurant in Ginza.


My host family's love of food, combined with my own family's love of food made everyone soon comfortable with each other.
Although the language barrier was present, my host mum can speak a little bit of English, so she understood about half of what my parents would say to her.
I was the translator for most of the night however. It was fun to say the least; translating Japanese greetings into English is rather hilarious at times.

Sashimi =]

Japanese Snow Crab
All in all, I think the dinner went fabulously.
I'm so happy that my host family and real family get along, and to top it all of, my host family told my parents that having me in their lives is a blessing on their part.
<3 oh the joy.
:P

I'm leaving for Hiroshima on the 30th of December, so my parents and brother would get a day in Tokyo all to themselves.
Hopefully they'd be okay without me.
So far it's been challenging to keep them all in check because we all walk at different speeds.

Apparently, I walk way too fast, and I zigzag.
I agree with the latter.
I seem to have a difficulty walking in a straight line.
I guess the model gig wouldn't have gone so well then!

So hopefully today would be just as interesting as it was yesterday. 
Off to shopping in Shibuya on a MONDAY, (yes, I used my brain this time!)

All my love always, 
and Happy Holidays!

April







No comments:

Post a Comment