Monday, November 29, 2010

asakusa in autumn

Asakusa on a Sunday!
I remember coming to Asakusa two years ago with my high school on a trip.
Two years later, I decided to go again yesterday , to...study, for the upcoming N2 exam.
It helped me remember all my grammar points, and my reading speed has also escalated as a result of being the most typical gaijin in all of Japan and taking photos of everything and anything.

I love it how the man in the background looks so disapproving of me! XD
Asakusa is one of the most tourist-y spots you can go to here in Tokyo.
There's a temple in which you can get your fortune told, and you can make wishes for 5 yen or less in the hopes that it would come true. (unfortunately, they never do.)
It's also a place where Japanese people and tourists alike come to shop for souvenirs and Japanese traditional items.



I told myself that I'd only come to Asakusa before I went back to New Zealand to buy gifts for friends and whatnot but a friend suggested we go; and going was a refreshing change other than staring at a textbook for hours and only digesting one grammar point despite the million that are written on the page.

the crowd at Asakusa.. don't go on a weekend. XD
gorgeous fall leaves in November, Tokyo. =]
The weather was amazing yesterday as well; not a cloud in the sky, and not to mention that autumn is gorgeous here in Japan!
The leaves were turning gold/orange/yellow and when the wind blew, all the leaves would get tangled in your hair.


Can I just say that autumn is one of the prettiest seasons I've seen here in Japan?
The sakura is just as beautiful but to see all the trees slowly turning orange and yellow in contrast to the grey buildings that surround it is a nice reminder that Tokyo can still be ...human. :)


The trees on my way home from school
Autumn leaves here in Japan are gorgeous.
I've never seen such beautiful autumn leaves.
In New Zealand the trees don't really turn orange/yellow in the fall because our native trees stay green all year round.
There is the occasional tree that turns orange/yellow but in comparison to what I saw today; it was definitely a different view altogether.
Sometimes they would also fly in your face; but gotta love every bit of nature.
Even when it proves inconsiderate. :)

introducing only half of "Sky Three", the new skyscraper that would beat Tokyo Tower's ass come next year in June.

It was all in all, an extremely eventful day in which I spent less than I'd usually spend in places such as Shibuya/Shinjuku.
I bought a little bag at this little store in Asakusa; had a conversation with a woman who was surprised that I was an exchange student because 'of your Japanese face'.
WHAT is up with Japanese people thinking that I look Japanese? I don't!
Yes, I am Asian; but that doesn't mean that I'm Japanese.
It's a compliment, mind you; just a bit annoying at times when the surprised tone of voice comes on.
「まじで?!うっそ!でもアジアな顔なんですが。。そうしたらどこから来ましたか?」
"Seriously? Lies! XD You have an Asian face though...Where are you from then?"

And when I reply that I'm from New Zealand, the usual reply would be "I didn't know New Zealand was an Asian country!"
Then I would explain that I'm from Malaysia, but migrated to New Zealand when I was 8.
It's like giving a short autobiography on who I am to overly-friendly Japanese sales ladies and men whom are trying to be nice to the pathetic gaijin tachi. (foreign people)

In less than a week, I hope to rape N2 of all it's pride.
The last time I went to Asakusa this year was to go to a fireworks festival which was surprisingly disappointing in comparison to the other fireworks festivals that the Japanese claim to pale in comparison.
However; i think the other fireworks festivals that I went to were with livelier company; not to mention we had a better viewing spot.
I went to the Asakusa Fireworks Festival this year with my host family and although we watched the fireworks from a rooftop; the wind blew all the smoke from the fireworks in our direction;
thus preventing a potentially great viewing experience.
However, yakisoba made up for that quite nicely! :)

今から、頑張ります!合格するますよに。。。
Hopefully I'll get back to my studying after I publish this blog, and upload a few photos to Facebook.
I cannot wait for the 5th of December to be over.
Although I have tests at school after that; I'm not too worried because the proficiency test matters to me more than an 'end of term' exam in which I write mini essays on what I'd do if I won the lottery.

Today at school I was reminded about the genuine friendliness of Kiwi people.
I haven't heard the Kiwi accent in so long; and to hear a kiwi person just say "You're from Auckland? Rangitoto College? That's a great school! Do you want a hug? You look like you need a hug. They don't hug people here in Japan."
It was so comforting to remember how friendly and happy everyone is back in Kiwiland.
Although I've been saying all this while that I don't want to go home;
I still think there's always going to be a part of me that wants to go home because I'll be normal again.

the irony in which a European mannequin adorns a Japanese kimono.
I think that when I go back to New Zealand, I can be certain about a few things.
There wouldn't be any discrimination on my part just because I look Japanese, and not European.
There wouldn't be any awkwardness on the trains when I do something 'gaijin', and get murder looks from disapproving Japanese men when I whip out a Kanji Drill book designed for elementary school children.

I enjoy school to a certain extent but sometimes I feel that it's a bit unfair in which the Japanese girls treat me differently to how they treat the other exchange girls in my school.
I guess it's safe to say that they are treated with more respect, and admiration, almost.
I love the friends I've made in school; but all in all, my class isn't exactly the most considerate bunch of people you'd meet.
Not to mention the teachers at my school.
Some of them forget I'm an exchange student,
and they seem to only use me for speech-giving, and translation purposes.

It's okay though, really.
What more can I expect?
Lately there's been a bit of discrimination going on,
but I've only two more months left here in Japan;
so I'm not going to let it affect me the way it did back when I first came.

the little cats that sit on the sushi counters all over the world; and now you can get them here!

these cats are ridiculously cute. =]
That's another thing.
Discrimination affected me so much when I first came to Japan because I was still so...soft, I guess, is the word you can describe me back in April.
I was so..'soft', or just a baby, really, because discrimination in New Zealand is highly frowned upon.
Race didn't matter as much, because everyone connected a level deeper than the color of your skin, or the size of your eyes, or your figure.

So it'll be really nice to get back to New Zealand and have a normal conversation with the person that is scanning your fruit and chocolate over the supermarket counter.
Speaking of which; no one does that here in Japan.
No hugging, no speaking...
I guess I forgot all about how...open, I used to be because I've been here for so long but meeting those Kiwi girls today reminded me.
And I'm glad I remember.


All my love always,

April

No comments:

Post a Comment