Wednesday, January 18, 2012

London China Town


I spent the last few days in London with Emma, who came from Denmark to visit me. She's a really good friend of mine from Japan as we both were past exchange students in Tokyo. It didn't really hit me that I haven't seen her in a year and a half. It was as if no time has passed at all, and we had just randomly bumped into each other in London.


The past few days in London have been absolutely fantastic, and the more time I spent with Emma, the more I realised how much I truly miss all the exchange students in Japan. Although I initially disliked the idea of being in a girls high school, I'm grateful for the sense of community it brought out in all of us, regardless of nationality, age, or cultural differences.


I arrived at Kings Cross around 5:30pm on Saturday, and by the time we checked into our hostel near St Pancras International, it was close to dinner time. Reminiscing about the good old days in Japan, Emma and I began to crave for some authentic Japanese food. R had taken me to a Japanese restaurant when I was here in London last year, so after several Google Map consultations and crappy mental mapping attempts, we headed out for China Town.


Google Maps offers you directions either by foot, bus, or tube. We decided to try and walk there because China Town did not look particularly far from Kings Cross on the map itself.
We did not consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, a 5cm line on a map would represent a kilometer, thus making actually quite far by foot.
As expected, we gave up after step two and hopped into the nearest tube station towards China Town.


The restaurant was packed as expected, and we had to wait for our turn to be seated. We had a reasonably authentic obento, and although I secretly thought that my host dad could have conjured up a tastier and more affordable meal, I enjoyed it nonetheless. I'd also forgotten the polar opposite speeds in which Emma and I consume food. By the time I was done with my obento, Emma was hardly a quarter through. I slowly worked my eating pace back down to Emma-Eating- Speed eventually, and we could both enjoy each other's company without feeling pressured to eat faster/slower.



After dinner, we decided to walk back to the hostel to work off some of the obento. Going through Piccadilly Circus, Oxford St, Regent St, and Tottenham Court Road was a physical challenge in itself. The shops were starting to close, and walking in central London on a Saturday night will result in bumping into randoms like this:
.....
After consulting various maps along the way, we arrived at the hostel an hour and a half later.
It's probably best if one takes the tube in London if they can. The walking does take it out of you, and sore leg muscles the next day is not a good way to start a morning.



The next night for dinner, we returned to China Town for some proper Chinese food. Ordering some special set menu which cost us nearly 20 pounds per person each, it took us almost 2 and a half hours to get through the course. Altogether there was about six dishes to share between two people.
Despite the sore leg muscles, we walked back to the hostel again due to guilt of having being such gluttons. We were one of the last customers to leave the restaurant. Many people came in to have their dinner later than we had arrived, but left earlier than the two of us.



The dinner itself was extremely satisfying. I really missed Peking Duck, and I'm glad we got to have some for the new year. I'm missing Chinese New Year because I'm spending most of February in the UK, so my cravings for Asian food in London have been fulfilled accordingly. Emma had not tried much authentic Chinese food until this trip down to London, and throughout our dinner I was an annoying and anxious friend who persistently asked if the food was edible, as if I was somehow responsible for the opinion she formed in her mind about Chinese food. I was relieved to know that she did in fact, found the food edible; if not actually enjoyable as well. She ate just as much as I did, so unless she's very good at lying, I'm going to assume she enjoyed it.


Many Asian bakeries tend to have elaborate and tempting cakes in the window, and though we were both quite full from all the food on both days of having splurged on Japanese and Chinese dinner, much self restraint was exercised in not purchasing one of these beautiful cakes.


Just looking at a picture of it now is making me realise that my new years resolution to decrease the consumption of much dairy products will not be feasible quite yet...


That pretty much sums up our oriental experience in London for the new year. If you are ever in London, you should definitely visit China Town. Not just for the food, but for the atmosphere, and the buzz of all the different tourists that are around. It's also a comforting place to be. I've noticed that wherever you travel to, chances are there will be a China Town somewhere conveniently located in the heart of the city.

All my love always,

April

No comments:

Post a Comment