Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy Chinese New Year


Year of the Dragon, 2012! I'm so excited. I remember back when I was younger, having learned about the story of all the 12 zodiac animals, and wondering why I was only a stupid Rooster when there were cool mythical beings (well one mythical being out of the twelve).


I decided to cook for all of R's house mates (and a couple of other friends that were invited over as well), to celebrate CNY. I have never cooked so much in my life. I stood in the kitchen from 1PM, and didn't really get a chance to have lunch or sit down until the dinner began at around 7:45PM.
After this experience, I have profound respect for my mum. She's been doing the cooking (for CNY dinner) since 2001. Not to mention that it's proper, traditional CNY dinner as well, which involves overnight seasoning and slicing up of ingredients.


There were a few dishes I had to unfortunately leave out because there was simply not enough ingredients available in Newcastle China Town. Dishes like yee sang (raw fish salad) I couldn't make because they don't stock pomelo here. I could have substituted it for orange or lemon; but it would have tasted wrong in my opinion. My mum makes a truly authentic version of yee sang. Just imagine eating it from the picture I took of last year's celebration... :P



I made two different types of fried rice, fried wonton, Szechuan eggplant, a beef dish (seasoned with lots of ginger and green onion), and a Peking Pork dish. I can't believe there were no leftovers as well :D
I felt like a domestic success...until today. My feet are so sore, and I have spent the whole day in bed watching Cupcake Wars and feeling sorry for myself. My mum told me she has hidden several red packets for me in my room for when I'm back in NZ. =]

I hope you all had a lovely Chinese New Year celebration.

All my love always, and Gong Xi Fa Cai!

April

1 comment:

  1. wow see you can too cook! I could never be that amazing at cooking it looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete