Friday, March 19, 2010

Dear Japan.

Dear Japan,
I will be visiting you in less that 14 days.
I visited you two years ago,
and it was not only my best year yet,
I met people that are simply amazing.
Some, not so much.

Thank you so much for providing an endless supply of tissue papers.
I even had a tissue packet that had Elmo's face on it.
I still do not have the heart to open this packet,
for it will most certainly rip Elmo's face in half.

Thank you, for having the world's most kickass public transportation system.
Although you prove to create the most anal rules concerning behaviour on the train,
I gotta give it to ya -you really mean it when you say that the next train will arrive in 2.5 minutes.
Thank you for creating all your Japanese business men the same.
Sporting uniformity is amusing, and I am loving the identical business suits all around.

Thank you for a Tokyo DisneySea.
Although you did make me feel insignificant and awkwardly single with your amusement park rides that catered specifically for COUPLES...
Life is so much better with a giant mascot of a mouse to take photos with.
Not to mention the chocolate covered popcorn.
Where did that come from?

Thank you, for giving me the coolest homestays anyone could ever ask for.
I've made lifelong friends because you blessed me with such amazing people to take care of me.

Thank you, for the schools in Kyoto and Tokyo.
The traditional perfomances which included various types of high pitched shrieking,
still amuse me to this day.
AND. You really had a knack of throwing welcoming parties.
Kyoto's welcoming party was ... oh wait, we didn't get one.
(work on that, will you?)
Tokyo's welcoming party gave us tables and tables of food, gifts, and a certificate that made all of us feel more significant than ever.
(a huge step up from the school in Kyoto, well done.)

Thank you, for having a BaskinRobbins ice cream store.
I will have a huge scoop of Jamoca Almond Fudge whenever I miss my older brother.
(probably all the time, who am I kidding.)

Thank you, for having the amazing ability to make attractive and adorable stationary.
You must have known I was coming, and put everything on sale whenever I went shopping.

BUT.


I dislike you, Japan.
You took John Mayer away from me.
In the duration of an hour, you somehow managed to swallow up 6000 tickets for the both nights that he was opening in Tokyo.
I bet you don't even understand half of the things he is saying!
He talks crap most of the time,
and you pay 8500yen to hear some white dude talk trash (though, awesome and lovely and gooey trash) while playing guitar?
That is strictly my property.
Shame, on you.
You crushed my dreams, and for that,
I not only dislike you,
I freaking hate you.

I also dislike you because
your currency rate is too high.
New Zealand dollar has dropped,
meaning that everything would be double the price.
So 30 or 40 bucks for a meal is considered pretty standard.
Woot.

I dislike you even further for pricing ridiculous items that are somehow a necessity at such an alarmingly expensive rate.
Why do I have to pay a $1000 for a school uniform?
Yes, its a Japanese uniform, and they are cute,
but you gave me a bright yellow sweater that is paired with a bright red tartan skirt to wear.
I do not think that is cute,
in fact, I think that is rather puke-worthy.
Why yellow?
Yellow is not a very attractive color, especially since it is the unfortunate shade of "look-at-me-i-am-an-unfortunate-shade-of-yellow".
Plus, I am Asian, in case you didn't notice,
and the bright yellow sweater that I will have to wear will emphasize my yellow-ness too well.

And I freaking loathe you,
because you exiled me to an all girls school in Japan.
I am afraid of confrontation and bitch fights,
and cannot physically avoid all the gossiping and cattiness.
So, therefore, I dislike your decision in sending me to one.

BUT.

I owe you an apology, Japan.
Because when I went there two years ago,
I talked and laughed as loud as I wanted to in the train,
and faced the wrong way around too.

I also said hello to many strangers on the train,
and fell asleep on a few unfortunate Japanese men,
To be honest, its not that big of a deal.
I didn't drool or anything.
...or did I? =/
Ugh.

So perhaps you are punishing me for some of my outtakes in Japan two years ago.
That is okay, I accept your punishment "gracefully".
However, the John Mayer thing was simply, too far.
I still want him, and am going to hate on every single person that bought a ticket to that concert.
Foreign people and their obsession with American artists, pshh.

So in all good spirits,
I have more gratitude towards you than complaints towards you in the end.
Right now, I am extremely bitter, but give me time,
and I'll be Lil Miss Sunshine and Rainbows with Dancing Unicorns once again.

One day, you won't love concerts so much.
One day, you will know that trains should be another place for each other to connect with one another,
and perhaps complete silence is too drastic.
One day, you will also know that your uniformity is not as awesome as you think it is.
One day, you will also know that bright yellow on ANYONE, isn't a great color.

And in 14 days,
I will see you again.
Please bear with me if I drop all of my luaggage on some poor old lady in the train.
I can't help but carry a lot of things with me.
I am packing for 365 days after all.
It's your fault for making everything so expensive.
Please also don't hate me if I cannot speak the language fluently,
and say "um" more than actual words with a meaning.
Its kinda your fault that the grammar structure differs to the English one so drastically.

...do not eat me alive, please.

All my "love" always,
April

1 comment:

  1. The last thing I knew bout Japan's transport system is that for the past 10 or how many years that i don recall...the average delay of their trains were 6 seconds...i was like Japs reli are ROBOTS...lolz

    Enjoy ur trip! Something i wud also "KILL" to go...=P

    ReplyDelete