Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tokyo Adventure

Tokyo Sky Tree at Asakusa
10:30PM Shibuya Crossing
I just arrived back from Japan a few hours ago. A bit disappointed that my three week holiday has ended so quickly, and not to mention that classes begin early tomorrow too.

Ueno
Holiday blues is never an ideal mindset to be in when starting a semester, but I'm grateful that I have had such a fun and exciting holiday.

rin-rin, or shin-shin? Can't remember.
From climbing Mt. Fuji, to witnessing the birth (and unfortunate death) of the baby panda at Ueno Zoo, to seeing Ralph again, and meeting up with all my Japanese friends- this has definitely been an extremely eventful vacation.


I also went back to the high school I attended in my senior year of high school. I didn't realise my classmates still remembered who I was- but they all welcomed me with hugs and high pitched squeals.


 Looking back on my exchange, I wish I had treasured the time with them a bit more. Especially with all the academic demands of university, being able to study Japanese on my own and having the leisure of self-study was definitely something I took advantage of. With deadlines, lectures, tutorials and obligations to meet, I have a profound new appreciation for the one year of self-study I was given during my exchange. It's nice being able to coordinate your own study timetable and set goals for yourself.



Although I did not get to blog as much as I wanted to, I did take around 500 photos in the three weeks I was there. Even if it felt silly taking photos of places I've been to- it was refreshing being a tourist in Japan instead of being an exchange student. It meant no curfew, no responsibilities (except for the ones imposed on me by the law faculty back home), and best of all- seeing everyone again for the first time in two years.


Looking back on my exchange and the travels I've been on so far, all that remains are memories. Snippets of the moments that truly made me laugh, the moments that have confused me. The times where I have been truly and genuinely happy, and the times where I realise that there is no where else I'd rather be than the present.
たこ焼き!
ラーメン

餃子!
That's what I love about travel- the ability to escape all the worries back home and be reassured by tempura, ramen and takoyaki. And gyoza. Lots, and lots of gyoza.


It's nice to be able to spot the similarities and differences in Tokyo. Sky Tree of course, being the biggest difference in the Tokyo skyline.


I remember how excited the Japanese were for its completion, and despite the tragic earthquake disaster last year, it stands proud and tall today, towering above all the other massive buildings the Tokyo skyline.



I already miss all my friends back there. I want to spend the Japanese summer in Osaka like I did two years ago- even though it may cause unfortunate lapses of heat anger every now and then. After all- there is always the option of going to karaoke to escape the "Osaka sun"... (guess what reference and you'll get a gold star)



Or just go to Yoyogi Park after a long day of trudging around Harajuku, and watch some guy make beautiful patterns with bubbles in the sky while Ralph trudges through his obligatory learn-Keigo book.

seasonal cherries!
Thank you to everyone who has made my holiday such a worthwhile and enjoyable one. Maki and her parents, my host family, all my Japanese friends, Angela (for putting up with me on Fuji), all the fun weekends with Ralph, and the random passerby who explained the difference between the Asakusa line and the Toei-Asakusa line.
If not for you- I wouldn't have had such a great and amazing vacation in the land of the rising sun.


So despite the lack of sleep, the broken toe, and the ongoing cough I had during my time in Tokyo, I find myself wishing that I could remain there for the rest of the year. Work in the Chiba police station (they're hiring!), or be one of those elevator girls in Kinokuniya book store.


Hopefully I will return at the end of the year for my Japanese internship- that is definitely keeping me going as far as I'm concerned.

All my love always,

April

5 comments:

  1. Im so glad you had fun!!!! I wish I could have gone, and I misses you so much! did you visit the potato fish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. potato fish wasn't even in the tank anymore! :(
      miss you too liv, it wasnt the same without you guys xx

      Delete
  2. OH GOSH WHAT?!

    I didn't even know you were there until I creeped to your FB just today.

    So glad you had fun! I'm going for the first two weeks in August, pity I missed you and Emma. :( But I'm sure we'll meet again someday.

    Always in my heart! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asya! So nice to hear from you
      Are you going in August? LUCKY! Take me with you! Going to Japan this time around was a bit lonely!

      I couldn't meet up with Emma in Japan this time around. But I'm sure we all love Japan too much not to visit again in the near future! I'm going there for an internship at the end of the year around Christmas, so if you're keen join me please ^_^

      Delete
  3. potato fish T.T we shall have a memorial when we go there together again...and in memory eat so much junk food we will want to throw up!!

    ReplyDelete